The Lakeland fence, along with Carpenter’s Barn, is one of the last remaining structures of Samuel Forman’s Lakeland estate. Today the fence serves to provide a scenic gateway to Lakeland Park, and acts as a great source of information for locals. Many groups and organizations use the wrought iron backdrop to promote their events.
Samuel Foreman’s mansion was constructed in 1813 to closely resemble Lorenzo. It was sold to Jacob Ten Eyck and remained in the Ten Eyck family for over a century.
In 1893, the owner Fairchild Carpenter constructed the fence to protect the estate from local traffic.
The Village of Cazenovia purchased the property in 1935 for use as a public park, and razed the main house in 1937. The fence was saved by a petition from the townspeople, and repairs were made in 1938 using WPA labor.
Fast forward to 1985 and the fence was once again in need of major repairs. CPF supported the Village by providing grant money for ironwork and repainting in order to keep the landmark alive.
Samuel Foreman’s Lakeland. Photo courtesy of the Cazenovia Public Library