2020 Cazenovia Virtual Turkey Trot 5K Run/Walk History Stops
Sponsored by the Cazenovia Central School District Class of 2023 with "Cazenovia History Stops" along the route provided by CPF.
Look for these signs along the route! After your run, return [HERE] and correctly answer all the questions on the quiz for a chance to win a prize!
Running too fast to read the signs? Keep scrolling for answers to the quiz questions!
Cazenovia Street Names
The 2020 Cazenovia Turkey Trot course takes runners on 14 streets in the Village of Cazenovia and 4 sections of trail. Many of these streets were named after early residents of Cazenovia.
Burton Street – Possibly named for William Burton, a mill owner at the corner of Mill and Riverside Drive.
Clark Street – The street leading from the paper mill east to Burton Street, is named Clark Street, after the late Othniel Clark, owner of most of the adjoining land.
Emory Avenue - Named after Thomas Emory, a doctor in Syracuse who built a summer home, called Boyden, in the location where the middle school now stands.
Farnham Street – Named for Elisha Farnham, owner of a tannery on Chittenango Creek which did a thriving business in the early days of the last century.
Forman Street – There were two prominent early settlers in Cazenovia by the name of Foreman, both brothers, who spelled their name with an “e”, although the name of the street is now minus the “e”. It is most probable that the street was named after Major Samuel S. Foreman who came with John Lincklaen, the village founder, as a merchant, and remained in Cazenovia for several years. Major Foreman subsequently moved to Syracuse.
Hurd Street – Named for Gen. Jabish N. M. Hurd, first regular post-master in Cazenovia. An early merchant of the village, he served in the war of 1812. He later moved to Utica where he lived until his death.
Lincklaen Street – Named for John Lincklaen, native of Holland, agent of the Holland land Co., founder of Cazenovia and most prominent early citizen.
Nickerson Street – Named for Deacon Nickerson of the Presbyterian Church, an early Cazenovia merchant.
Sullivan Street – Named in honor of the famous Gen. John Sullivan, leader of the American forces against the Iroquois.
Williams Street – Probably named for Elijah Williams, an early settler.
Cazenovia Republican 1851 and September 7, 1944
The building at 54 Lincklaen Street, was built by J. Nickerson in 1838. Mr. Nickerson sold hats of his own manufacture as well as fur caps and collars from New York.
It is difficult to imagine, in our modern times, that Cazenovia could support a shop devoted entirely to the manufacture and sale of hats. However, it is apparent based on Mr. Nickerson’s November 1830 advertisement in the Cazenovia Republican, and a similar advertisement from a competitor dated one month earlier, that at one time, at least two such establishments were in business simultaneously in our little town.
J. Nickerson Hat Factory
Lehigh Valley Railroad
This section of railway was originally part of the Cazenovia and Canastota Railroad, established in 1870. After a series of expansions, this railroad was eventually absorbed into the Lehigh Valley Railroad in 1896. Passenger service to Cazenovia on this line ended in 1941. Trains continued to carry farm and building supplies on this section of track until 1967. Here we see a train by the depot, currently the home of Gene Gissin’s photography studio.
"Lehigh Valley Railroad, freight only". Official Guide of the Railways. National Railway Publication Company. 74 (1). June 1941.
Lehigh Valley Railroad Water Tower
You may have noticed a five foot by five foot structure with a central ciruclar structure on the ground just north of the trestle bridge behind the Burton Street school fields. This is the remnant of a water tower that would have supplied water to replenish the boilers that powered the steam locomotives. You can see remnants of the pipe in the center, which connects to an intake pipe located near the footing of the bridge that collected water from Chittenango Creek to fill the water tower.
Zadock Sweetland constructed a paper mill at this site in 1810 and it remained a family operated business until 1865. By the 1850’s, almost one ton of linen rag paper was being manufactured here each day. On August 15, 1859, a fire destroyed the building. The mill was rebuilt, but never prospered again. In 1865, the mill dam washed away in the spring floods, and the building was sold to Henry Monroe of Skaneateles, who rebuilt the dam (some of which is still visible) and resumed paper manufacturing for a time. The mill was then again destroyed by fire around 1870.
To keep up for the demand for his “Crawford Improved Mower & Reaper”, the Reverend Joseph F. Crawford; inventor, business man, pastor, state assembly member and owner of the “J.F. Crawford Tug” which towed a passenger barge up and down Cazenovia Lake; purchased the property to build a new manufacturing facility. The new mill, designed by renowned Syracuse architect Archimedes Russell to be able to produce one machine every 20 minutes, was completed in 1876. Unfortunately for Mr. Crawford, business dwindled and eventually the factory closed in about 1890.
After sitting idle for several years, the Bently Shoe Company of Syracuse proposed to move its operations to Cazenovia. In an effort to revitalize the declining manufacturing industry in Cazenovia, several local businessmen pledged the $10,000 needed to fully capitalize the business. Improvements were made to the building and manufacturing operations began in June of 1895. By November of that year, however, the Cazenovia Republican reported that the Bently Shoe Company was in financial straights, and that the factory had been seized by the Sheriff. The paper went on to say that "the most damaging proofs have been piled up against Bently, until today he is known as one of the heaviest forgers known in New York State criminal History". By the end of that week Bently was still at large "with several thousand dollars of his ill gotten money, undoubtedly making for some foreign country".
After this time, the building went on to house the Union Electric Company; the Cazenovia Electric Company; a canning factory that employed 125 people during the season, canning locally grown vegetables; the Diepress Company, which printed an assortment of small items such as tea bag tags and milk bottle caps; and finally, Waterbury & Coe who were dealers for Agway, selling feed and agricultural supplies until 1980.
Matthew Urtz, October 2010
Images: Cazenovia Public Library Collection
If you were here in 1852, you’d be under water.
The site was a mill pond until the early 20th century when it was drained and planted with willows to provide materials for the willow industry which had been brought to the United States by German immigrants. Several Liverpool-based companies made baskets and other goods from the young pliable shoots. By 1925, the industry was waning and the Cazenovia Republican reported that the willows had overgrown their useful size due to lack of management. They were cut and burned to stimulate regrowth. The Willow Patch was gifted to the Cazenovia Preservation Foundation by Evelyn Hutchins in 1986.
(Map: Hart, 1852)
Carpenter’s Pond & Lakeland
Carpenter’s Pond is a man-made pond, dug in the 1890’s to provide fill to build up the grade for construction of the carriage house at the estate called “Lakeland”, pictured below, in what is now known as Lakeland Park.
Lakeland was originally built by Samuel Foreman, who sold it to Jacob and Betsy Ten Eyck in 1824. It was the Ten Eycks’ daughter and her husband, Jesse Fairchild Carpenter, who built the stone carriage house, now known as Carpenter’s Barn, and installed the wrought iron fence that still stands today (as you round the turn onto Albany Strret, look for the name over the gate).